Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
In accordance with Section 89 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 and the Education (Determination of Admission Arrangements) (Wales) Regulations 2016 the Council is required to review the School Admission Policy annually.
As part of this, the Council has consulted on proposed changes to the School Admission Policy 2021/22 and changes to some Welshmedium primary schools and secondary schools catchment areas.
The School Admission Arrangements must be determined for implementation in September 2021
This report summarises the views expressed during the consultation with recommendations regarding how to proceed.
1. the Council’s draft School Admission Arrangements 2021/2022 as set out in the Admission Policy 2021/202 be determined
2. that the School Admission Arrangements 2021/2022 implement
Option A for changes to Welsh-medium primary school catchment areas, as set out in the Welsh-medium catchment areas Consultation Document (Appendix 2).
3. the transfer of the primary school catchment area of Ysgol Glan Morfa from the secondary school catchment area of Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf to the catchment area of Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Bro Edern be noted
4. the deferral of the proposed changes to the secondary school catchment areas of Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf and Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr in Canton and Riverside be noted
5. it be noted that the Council expects to consult on further revisions to Welsh-medium secondary school catchment areas in Canton and Riverside, in the 2024/2025 academic year, for implementation in the 2026/2027 academic year.
Publication date: 23/03/2020
Date of decision: 19/03/2020
Decided at meeting: 19/03/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 02/04/2020