Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
At its meeting on 14 December 2017 the Council Cabinet considered a report setting out the Council’s priority schemes to be undertaken as part of Cardiff’s Band B 21st Century Schools Programme.
The purpose of the report is to seek Cabinet approval to consult on proposals for developing the Cathays High School, in line with Band B priority schemes.
1. officers be authorised to consult on proposals to:
· Expand the school from 1,072 places (5.5 Forms of Entry with 247 sixth form places) to 1,450 places (8 Forms of Entry with 250 sixth form places) from September 2023;
· Replace the Cathays High School buildings with new build accommodation on the Maindy Centre site adjacent to Crown Way and North Road;
· Expand the current Specialist Resource Base (SRB) for learners with Autism Spectrum Condition from 16 to 50 places in purpose-built accommodation in the new school buildings;
· Upgrade community facilities in Cathays and Gabalfa through the significantly enhanced school facilities being made available for shared use with the wider local community.
· Provide space for the local community to continue to have access to off-road open spaces for informal leisure use.
2. it be noted that officers will bring a report on the outcome of the consultation to a future meeting to seek authorisation as to whether to proceed to publish proposals in accordance with section 48 of The School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Act 2013.
Publication date: 18/12/2020
Date of decision: 17/12/2020
Decided at meeting: 17/12/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 01/01/2021