Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
1, The additional licensing scheme in Plasnewydd is due to expire in November 2019. This report seeks authorisation from Cabinet to carry out required statutory consultation before returning to Cabinet for consideration of re-declaration of the Scheme.
2. To brief Cabinet on changes in England currently being considered in Wales which would have significant positive impacts on the HMO licensing function in Cardiff if replicated in Wales.
3. To brief cabinet on the sharp rise in enforcement activity required on “poorly converted buildings” where tenants are being placed at risk
1. the Shared Regulatory Service be authorised to undertake the required statutory consultation for the re-declaration of the Plasnewydd Additional Licensing Scheme.
2. Officers be authorised to inform Welsh Government of the Council’s support for the proposed expansion of Mandatory HMO licensing, as in England but to also include “poorly converted buildings”.
3. It be noted that such an expansion will have resourcing implications, only some of which will be recoverable from HMO licence fee income.
Publication date: 12/07/2019
Date of decision: 11/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 11/07/2019 - Cabinet
Effeithiol O: 24/07/2019