Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The current Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme (VPRS) will reach its natural end in March/April 2020. The UK Government has announced its intention to introduce the UK Resettlement Scheme (UKRS), to enable resettlement beyond 2020. The replacement scheme will have a wider geographical focus, and will enable the resettlement up to 5000 of the most vulnerable refugees during the first year, from wherever the humanitarian need is greatest.
Local Authorities are asked to offer places in support of the new scheme.
1. Cardiff Council's participation in the new, global UK Resettlement Scheme (UKRS), in order to facilitate the resettlement of vulnerable refugees, for the first year of the scheme be approved
2. The collaborative working arrangement with the Vale of Glamorgan Council be continued in order to benefit from the sharing of knowledge, experience and resources, including the regional coordination.
3. It be agreed to extend and support the existing regional Governance arrangements, specifically the regional Leadership Group. Membership comprises key regional stakeholders, including Council Members, Lead Officers and representatives from Housing, Health, Education, South Wales Police, third sector and faith groups.
4. the resettlement of up to six families in Cardiff during the first year be agreed, conditional upon the availability of resources, specifically school places and affordable, sustainable accommodation.
5. authority be delegated to the Corporate Director of People & Communities, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Social Care, Health & Well-being, s.151 officer and Director of Governance & Legal Services to
o make changes to documents as needed for the delivery of the UKRS in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan including, but not limited to, the collaboration agreement with the Vale of Glamorgan and agreement with the Integration and Support Service provider and
o to accept the new funding conditions and
o generally to progress the regional arrangements for the delivery of the UK resettlement scheme.
Publication date: 20/03/2020
Date of decision: 19/03/2020
Decided at meeting: 19/03/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 02/04/2020