Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
At its meeting on 17 December 2020 the Council Cabinet authorised officers to consult on proposals to:
· Expand Cathays School from 1,072 places (5.5 Forms of Entry with 247 sixth form places) to 1,450 places (8 Forms of Entry with 250 sixth form places) from September 2023;
· Replace the Cathays High School buildings with new build accommodation on the Maindy Centre site adjacent to Crown Way and North Road;
· Expand the current Specialist Resource Base (SRB) for learners with Autism Spectrum Condition from 16 to 50 places in purpose-built accommodation in the new school buildings;
· Upgrade community facilities in Cathays and Gabalfa through the significantly enhanced school facilities being made available for shared use with the wider local community.
· Provide space for the local community to continue to have access to off-road open spaces for informal leisure use.
It was noted that officers would bring a report on the outcome of the consultation to a future meeting to seek authorisation as to whether to proceed to publish proposals in accordance with section 48 of The School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Act 2013
This report summarises the views expressed during the consultation with recommendations regarding how to proceed.
1. Officers be authorised to issue a statutory notice to:
2. It be Noted that prior to implementation of the proposals a further report will be provided to the Cabinet providing details of any objections received, the proposed responses to those objections and recommendations for implementation or otherwise of the proposals.
Publication date: 17/06/2021
Date of decision: 17/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 17/06/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 30/06/2021