Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To provide the Cabinet with a report on the progress to date in working towards global recognition for Cardiff as a Unicef Child Friendly City.
To seek Cabinet support to ensure continuity of commitment to our Child Friendly Cardiff vision, within and beyond the Council.
To advise Cabinet of the next steps in preparing for potential recognition as a Child Friendly City in Autumn 2021.
RESOLVED: that Cardiff Council will:
1. Continue to sponsor a Council wide commitment to action to embed a child rights approach across all Council services.
2. Commit to the meaningful involvement of children and young people in COVID-19 city-wide recovery planning.
3. Work towards embedding the Child Rights Impact Assessment into the Policy framework.
4. Receive an Annual Child’s Rights Report at Council, to capture progress and areas for improvement annually alongside the Council’s Wellbeing report.
5. Develop a sustainable approach to rights based training including mandating child rights training for senior managers.
6. Maintain a meaningful approach to the participation of children and young people in all policy, strategy and decision making where changes will impact upon their lives.
7. Support the evaluation of progress towards the Child Friendly Vision for Cardiff as we embark upon the recognition phase with Unicef in 2021.
Publication date: 22/01/2021
Date of decision: 21/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 21/01/2021 - Cabinet
Effeithiol O: 03/02/2021